WHY BUY AUSTRALIAN?
David Burder – CEO and head designer for Whitlands Engineering believes in local decentralised manufacturing and is committed to the benefits of local business and how they flow onto the greater community. He says ‘we employ 22 full time people plus two part time people in the office, which means we are indirectly supporting as many families. We buy almost 100% of our stock from local suppliers – which pumps millions of dollars into the local industry, and we use local freight companies wherever possible which funnels money into businesses all over Australia and New Zealand. As a business that’s something we’re really proud of and will continue to operate in this way’.
In addition to the benefits of local manufacturing, there are other aspects of the design and construction which also give good reason to purchase Australian made products.
- The whole range is manufactured from scratch (to specification) in the Whitlands workshop. The quality of the construction is unmatched – these machines are built for a lifetime of use. All of the welding is done by hand and each machine is put through a rigorous quality control inspection before it is shipped.
- All machines are covered by a two year construction warranty.
- Wherever possible, the range of machines is built from off-the-shelf components ie. hydraulic pumps, engines, wheels, etc. This means quick and easy repair if something goes wrong.
- Access to accessories which means an upgrade or modification is easily managed.
- Any problems with the machine are quickly addressed by a phone-call to our office, where David and Tony are on hand to discuss any issues.
- Each machine is designed with ergonomics in mind. Lifting and bending is minimised by the log lifter, and the large work bench at ideal working height enables the operator to work with a straight back – meaning these machines can be used all day without strain.
- Faster cycle times mean more wood split at the end of the day
- All machines are controls are Work Cover compliant
- If registered, all machines are legally towable
DISADVANTAGES OF BUYING IMPORTED MACHINERY
The smaller horizontal and vertical machines on the market are certainly much cheaper than any machines in the Whitlands Engineering range, and often for good reason. If you’re interested in buying any of these machines, read this first.
- The majority of these machines are built from low quality components in overseas factories meaning that sourcing parts and claiming on warranties is less straightforward than with locally manufactured machinery.
- Machines which are low to the ground, or work on the ground – require lots of bending and lifting and can be extremely inefficient. Not only does the block have to be picked up initially, with every split it has to be picked up again due to the lack bench support for the block.
- Don’t be fooled by claims of exaggerated splitting force. Whitlands Engineering estimates that 20 ton is more than adequate for even the toughest Australian hardwood. Claims of 40 ton or more often misleading.
- Despite high tonnage power claims, often the cycle times are very slow – up to 24 seconds due to the hydraulic power pack being undersized for the hydraulic cylinder used.
- Most machines are fitted with inferior unbranded engines which do not carry warranty. Whitlands Engineering only uses branded Vanguard, Subaru or Honda engines – all of which carry 3 years manufacturer’s warranty.
- Importantly, most of these machines do not comply with Australian Work Cover requirements with little or no guarding and non-compliant control systems.
Whitlands Engineering is happy to discuss any of these factors with you if you are considering buying one of these machines. Contact David or Tony on 1800 702 701. And remember…
SUPPORT AUSTRALIAN MADE – WE DO!